Sunday, March 6, 2011

Poached Eggs over an Heirloom Tomato Salad

recipe by Sabrina W. for eat.drink.and be merry.
yields 2 servings
2 eggs
2 slices of crusty bread, (I use Trader Joe's Tuscan Pane)
2 slices applewood smoked bacon
3/4 cup of mini heirloom tomatoes, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
1 tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette
pepper

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Place the bacon on a lined baking sheet and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, depending on how crispy you'd like your bacon. Transfer to a papertowl to absorb some of the grease. When they have cooled a little, break up into small pieces.

In a small bowl, mix together tomatoes, basil, and vinaigrette. Let sit on counter to marinate while your cooking.

To poach the eggs, I use metal rings in a saute pan. I have tried many ways and they have resulted in either a complete waste of a carton of eggs to explosions in my microwave! I find this to be the easiest way. If you don't have metal rings, you can do this same process with ramekins. Just make sure the water gets into the ramekins. I take a large skillet with tall sides and fill it just up to the top of the metal rings. I take the rings out (I use them at first just to measure how much water I need) and bring the water to a boil. I then adjust the heat to low and put the metal rings in the pan. I crack each egg, one at a time into a ramekin or small bowl. Then I carefully drop the egg into the metal ring. Cover and simmer for about 4 minutes. When done, I remove the rings with tongs, and then remove the eggs with a slotted spoon.

While the eggs are poaching, toast your bread. Take your toast and top with tomato salad. Once the eggs are done, immediately place them on top of toast and tomatoes, sprinkle with pepper, and top with bacon crumbles. Break the yolk with your fork and enjoy!

back to eat.drink.and be merry.